Coach’s Corner, March 8th: Time to Get Excited!

Preseason warm-up

Barring meteorological catastrophe, our spring tennis season will start in less than two weeks. In preparation for that eventuality, I visited the courts yesterday and did some maintenance on the grounds and the six courts with nets. Four of the six nets left up survived the winter in good shape, as did all the center straps. Two of the nets, alas, are full of holes and will be replaced in the near future. On Friday, Parks and Rec will restore nets to the southern bank of courts, and I will adjust the heights and place center straps on the nets.

In the interim before tryouts, prospective candidates for the team should make sure to sign up on Family ID and to get their medical clearance. Without these two prerequisites, a students cannot participate at all. I also suggest that girls find a friend or teammate and play some tennis outside. Believe me, conditions are much tougher than on those indoor courts where lots of players attend clinics and take privates. It is a definite advantage to get used to rallying, serving, and volleying outside in preparation for the challenge ahead.

Time to get excited, girls: spring tennis is coming!